Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Adventures of Joshelberry Funn

Dear internet (and people who use it),

The birds are chirping, the ice is finished melting, the sun is (sorta) shining, and life at LCC plows on full speed to the end. Though I feel great pressure to, I will not offer any obligatory apologies for my prolonged absence from this page. Nope. I will have no regrets, I tell you. For, you see, when a man is not on the internet piddling away his time and tap-tap-tapping his memories onto his 14.1" screen, I suppose he is instead spending his time living life to the full, or at least trying his best to.

In my case, I can assure you that this is the truth. Life has been a whirlwind of smaller whirlwinds, through it all -- the good, the bad, the wonderful, and even the little bit of boring. Yes, I said boring. But the great thing about being bored on the other side of the world is that you must only remind yourself that you are, in fact, on the other side of the world and such moments cease to be so dull.

Deep thought #1: Aren't we always on the other side of the world?

But I have not had much time for being bored. So let me highlight a few things that have happened lately. In my last post, I mentioned a quiz show game night thing. We lost. But life goes on. And it went on, in fact, and took me to the Parade of Stars, 2011. Parade of Stars is LCC's big cultural event, where all the countries here put on a performance or play of some sort and compete through various stages to win the prize. Being the multinational Canuck that I am afforded me the honor (sans "u") of joining Team America, whose clearly quite perceptive members promptly assigned me the role of Superman.

Long story short, I danced around in borrowed blue tights and red shorts, pretending to explore the Land of Liberty and all the while extolling its great virtues. We did quite well, if I do say so myself, but we ultimately ceded our prize to Team Latvia who fairly won the title but crushed our American imperialistic spirits. Ah well. Life goes on.

And it took me forward through many busy days and memorable times with new friends, challenging discussions and eye-opening experiences.

Deep thought #2: Every experience can be eye-opening. You just have to keep them open the whole time.

Then this past week, my roommate and good friend Anton and I took a trip to Copenhagen. Ohh boy. Where to begin? Well, being the fiscal fellows that we are, we decided to make this trip as cheap as humanly possible, never mind the fact that our destination was one of the most expensive cities in the world. So for us that meant pinching pennies on everything we could. On things like transportation and shelter, for example. You know.. dispensable things like that. We planned on CouchSurfing while in the city, which for those of you unaware is a network of people around the world who post available couches for travelers to come sleep on for free, and in turn get to travel themselves. We found a place to stay just outside the city, and it was great! Our hosts were very pleasant, mild-mannered, thoughtful folk who baked us cookies and gave us full access to their little flat for no fee other than our polite presence and storytelling. (There are good people in the world.)

The real adventure, though, was traveling to and from. Also, we reasoned why spend money on a bus when you could, you know, hitchhike or something!? We flew into Gothenburg, Sweden, and made the trek 200 kilometers down to Copenhagen within a day. On the way down, it more or less proceeded without a hitch. You meet fascinating people when you just stick your thumb out on the side of the road, as it turns out. We got lifts from an Arab couple, a couple African dudes, some Swedish engineers, and a chap from Kosovo. Fascinating people, all of them.

We spent a few delightful days in the city, and then began our trek back up to Gothenburg. At first, things were fine. We were a little short on money for the train out of the city, but the ticket-checker was so excited that I was Canadian, that he offered us a few helpful pointers and proceeded to chat hockey stats with me until we made it. I love Danish people.

So then we got a lift from an airport technician in a rad sports car into Sweden. From there we camped out and enjoyed a roadside picnic until a nice Swedish couple picked us up and took us 50 kilometers north, but not before stopping in on a few errands on the way while we dutifully smiled in the backseat. We slowly realized Swedish people are much less friendly to hitchhikers on Saturdays, as our next two rides took us only a matter of kilometers further.

Suddenly it was evening and we were too far from Gothenburg to make our night bus to the airport. Nevertheless, our only option was to wait by the roadside until something happened. Well, something happened, but not until after the sun had set. You see, it is very dangerous to be on the side of the road at night time, so when we realized we were stuck there with no flashlight and no hope for a ride, we decided to walk the 7 miles into the nearest town to find a train. What ensued were some of the most harrowing minutes of my life. As we skirted down a Swedish highway and lightning-quick late night traffic skirted by us. Then to our simultaneous great horror and relief, a cop car screeched to a halt in front of us with lights and sirens wailing. I am not sure which is more illegal -- hitchhiking or being on the side of the road at night, but it quickly became apparent that neither really mattered. In a staggering display of the true Police spirit, they both served and protected us. A firm lecture on the dangers of our endeavours was all we had to pay for a free lift to the train station... and a conversation that quickly turned to "Oh! No way! I have family in Canada! blah.. blah..blah"

So that is that. And oh yeah. Copenhagen is a beautiful place.

Well, my friends. If all these travel stories are making your head spin then I regret to tell you that I am about to leave for a weekend trip to Latvia and Estonia with the Study Abroad program here. Well, actually I do not regret anything. No regrets, remember? Right on.

Well, thanks for your time. Remember: God loves you, and so do I!
jmb

1 comment:

Brother Nothing said...

And I love you too. This was a fantastic tale of harrowing suspense and thrill. That's right, both! When you get back to sleep at the Resto House again, I hope to trade couchsurfing and hitchhiking tales. My only hitchhiking experience so far was at night, and quite scary at times, though not nearly as exciting as yours turned out to be. Can't wait to see you again.