Friday, April 29, 2011

Viskas.

Viskas. This word means, "That's it" in Lithuanian. As I sit here studying for my final final tomorrow morning, I really feel like I am approaching Viskas. And it's kind of sad.

More reflections are sure to come, but last week I finished a final paper for my Cross Cultural class and I'll share that for now instead. If you are interested in some of my general impressions of the experience, prašom skaityti (please read [I need to use as much Lithuanian as possible now. I likely won't ever get to use it again.]). 


Thinal Foughts on Life in Lithuania


Speaking of Lithuanian, I had a simple, but remarkably long, conversation with a lady in Senamiestas (Old Town) today. It was glorious. I hope you are as proud of me as I am of me. 


But back to the sad bit. There are things that have pulled me so strongly back home throughout this whole semester (friends, family, and a certain lovely lady) that continue to draw me even more intensely as the reunions approach. Yet simultaneously there is so much about this place that holds me here. As the sun shines brilliantly and the gray turns to green all over the country ["pavasaris" = spring], I feel sometimes as if I am seeing this place for the first time. But I'm not. It's the same place it has always been. It just took a little springtime sunlight (and four months of challenge) to illuminate my love for it. 


But the blogoglobe is no place for such sappy sentimentality. Except to express, for all who care to know it, the impression this country, this part of the world, these people, this language, these friends, have made on me. Indelible impressions indeed. 

Gerai draugiai. Viskas dabar. (Okay, my friends. That's all for now) 
jmb





2 comments:

MBoden said...

Thanks for leaving your reflections. We have loved in a small way living this adventure with you, and we can't wait to get you home! Love, Dad

J2J said...

I loved reading your paper... it so beautifully captured everything you've experienced during the past few months. By the way, when will you be writing your first book? I can't wait! :)